Body blow to self-defence claim: $1,500 fine and bond after assault at party

16/02/2019 Posted by admin

BOND: A man has been fined and given a good behaviour bond over an assault.A MAN who assaulted another and left his victim semi-conscious on the ground failed in his bid to defend the charge by claiming it was self defence.
南京夜网

Terrance Ronald Wright, of Jonathon Road Orange, appeared before magistrate, Terry Lucas, in Orange Local Court on Thursday to face sentencing.

His solicitor Mason Manwaring argued his client had been at a party and three people had approached him and he thought he would be hit.

“So he hit the complainant … there is no evidence of any ongoing damage to the complainant,” Mr Manwaring said.

“He believed he acted in self defence.”

Police facts said officers arrived at the scene of a brawl in Buckland Drive and Diamond Drive at about 4am on Sunday, July 12 where they found an “unresponsive male on the ground”.

A witness pointed out 20-year-old Wright, to officers, as the assailant.

Mr Manwaring told Mr Lucas his client would accept the consequences of his actions despite his initial not guilty plea.

“There’s an acknowledgment that had he not been affected by some alcohol it probably wouldn’t have happened,” Mr Manwaring said.

He said it was unfortunate that it was a common story when six young men were consuming alcohol.

Mr Lucas had ordered a pre-sentence report which meant he had considered sending Wright to prison.

He told him he could face up to two years in jail for the charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and he could be fined up to $3500.

“It’s a very serious matter, there were injuries and blood was spilled,” Mr Lucas said.

He fined him $1500 and gave him a 12-month good behaviour bond.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.