Archive for: ‘September 2019’

George Town expecting bumper tourist season

16/09/2019 Posted by admin

Low Head’s penguin tours capture the hearts of visitors to the George Town region.A MIXTURE of good food, wine and history has George Town set to become a tourist hot spot during summer.
Nanjing Night Net

George Town Council tourism projects officer Lee-Ann Patterson said the latest figures showed overnight stays in the region had increased 138 per cent.

“We’re expecting a boomer of a season. We’ve done trade shows in Hobart and on the Spirit of Tasmania and we’re getting the word out on what our region has to offer,” she said.

She said typical tourists were intrastate families or couples aged 40 or older.

Asian visitors to the region are likely to increase following a concerted effort to target the market.

“We’ve expanded our marketing into the Chinese market a lot,” Ms Patterson said.

“We’ve received a lot of visitation through aquaculture.”

Penguin tours, the region’s food and wine and its maritime history were of particular interest, she said. Visitors to the George Town Watchhouse Museum peaked this year.

Ms Patterson said the Low Head Caravan Tourist Park was fully booked until the end of January.

“The provincial Tamar side is doing really amazing things and achieving huge things in our own right,” she said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Sydney siege victims’ funerals: family and friends farewell Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson

16/09/2019 Posted by admin

The number of flowers at Martin Place in Sydney continues to grow. Photo: James AlcockJust over a week after a central Sydney cafe was besieged and its 18 customers held hostage, final preparations are being made to farewell the Lindt Cafe attack’s two victims.
Nanjing Night Net

Tori Johnson and Katrina Dawson will both be honoured in Sydney on Tuesday, while donations in their memory pour into charities.

Friends and family of Lindt Chocolat Cafe manager Mr Johnson, who was killed by shots released at close range by gunman Man Haron Monis, have been invited to attend his funeral at St Stephens Uniting Church, just metres from the siege site.

The 34-year-old’s family is determined to make the sad affair a celebration and “positive reflection” of his life, his friends have told Fairfax Media.

His partner of 14 years, Thomas Zinn; Mr Johnson’s parents, artist Ken and his former wife, Central Coast landscape designer Rosemary; and his younger brother James, who has flown home to Sydney from Canada, will lead the congregation.

They have requested donations in Mr Johnson’s memory go to depression and anxiety charity, beyondblue. The charity has so far received $106,000 via the Everyday Hero fund-raising platform, $51,000 of which was donated by Lindt Australia.

Barrister and mother-of-three Ms Dawson, who was killed by gunshot wounds when police stormed the cafe, will be remembered at a public memorial service in The Great Hall at the University of Sydney at 3pm.

In place of flowers, well-wishers are requested to make a donation to the Katrina Dawson Foundation, which was registered as an official charity just three days after her death and was founded to preserve and honour the memory of the 38-year-old who “achieved so much” in her short life. The new organisation will focus on the education of women.

“She shone in so many ways,” reads an introduction on the foundation’s site. “And she made the most of every opportunity she had. It is our hope that out of her senseless death we will, through the opportunities the Foundation will provide, bring meaning to the lives of other amazing young women.”

The website is framed with aqua – the colour mourners at the service are asked to wear a “splash of” as a nod to Katrina’s favourite hue.

A steady stream of visitors from all walks of life continues to flow into Martin Place, laying flowers for the slain hostages seven days after the first bouquet of lilies was left close to Lindt Cafe, signalling the start of a vast public outpouring of grief.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Direct Action: Climate Change Authority questions the efficiency and effectiveness of Emissions Reduction Fund

16/09/2019 Posted by admin

What’s Watt: The Renewable Energy Target explained
Nanjing Night Net

The government’s Climate Change Authority has questioned the efficiency and effectiveness of the Emissions Reduction Fund, the centre piece of the Coalition’s controversial “Direct Action” climate policy, and says the scheme is unlikely to deliver on long-standing emissions reduction targets.

The authority, charged with providing independent advice on climate-change policy, warned the Emissions Reduction Fund (ERF) risked paying large amounts to polluters for emission reductions that would have happened anyway.

It also said the ERF alone is unlikely to deliver the promised 5 per cent reduction in emissions by 2020. The authority has also recommended against changing the Large-scale Renewable Energy Target which covers wind and other big generators. This contradicts the advice of a hand-picked government review panel, chaired by businessman Dick Warburton, which recently called for the target to be dramatically scaled back.

On Monday the authority released a review of the Carbon Farming Initiative (CFI) which was last month expanded to become the Emissions Reduction Fund (ERF). Participants in the CFI were rolled into the new fund which now covers all sectors of the economy. Under the ERF the government will spend $2.55 billion to purchase emissions reductions through auctions. The authority said the ERF “has become the spearhead of the government’s climate change policy.”

But the review found the Carbon Farming Initiative was “administratively intense” and that this had resulted in relatively high transaction costs. It warned the new ERF retained much of the “administrative intensity and complexity inherent” in this type of scheme where credits are assessed on outcomes against pre-determined baselines.

“In such schemes there can be no certainty that the credits awarded to participants always relate to emissions reductions which are genuinely additional to those that would have occurred in the absence of the scheme,” it said.

The authority said the size of the ERF increased the risk of waste.

“The big difference between the CFI and the ERF which replaced it is the much greater scale of the latter – and the much greater consequences of the risks that the scheme might not only miss some real opportunities to reduce emissions but also (and perhaps more worryingly) result in large payments for reductions that would have occurred anyway,” it said.

A spokeswoman for the Environment Minister, Greg Hunt, said the government will “carefully consider” the Authority’s reviews and table its responses in due course. She said the government was making strong progress implementing the ERF and that preparations for the first auction under the scheme are well underway.

The authority which is chaired by former Reserve Bank governor Bernie Fraser,said it was “unlikley” the ERF would deliver the promised 5 per cent reduction in emissions by 2020 “without significant complementary action such as purchases of appropriate international permits and the maintenance of a robust RET.” It recommended the ERF introduce more stringent testing and that the scheme’s effectiveness be subjected to regular independent reviews.

In a separate report on the Renewable Energy Target (RET), the authority found that reducing the target would not do much to ease the problems now facing the electricity generation sector. Rather than reducing the level of the target, the authority recommended that the 2020 target-year for the Large-scale RET should be “pushed out by, say, up to three years.”

The authority made no recommendations about the Small-scale Renewable Energy Scheme, which helps households, small businesses and community groups with the upfront cost of installing small-scale systems, such as rooftop solar panels.

However, it said that subsidising household solar panels is a relatively expensive way to reduce emissions in the electricity sector. The authority did not recommend any changes, largely because the assistance will soon begin to phase out, and the overall costs are relatively modest.

The Abbott Government tried to scrap the Climate Change Authority earlier this year but it was saved as part of a deal with the Palmer United Party that ensured Senate support for the Direct Action climate change policy.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Fatal car accident: man under police guard in hospital after allegedly driving off

16/09/2019 Posted by admin

Police are guarding a man in hospital after he allegedly ran a red light, fatally struck a woman in another car and drove off in Sydney’s south-west on Sunday.
Nanjing Night Net

Crash investigators allege the 20-year-old driver smashed into a Toyota Yaris at Prestons about 9pm.

A woman, 57, was taken to Liverpool Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.

Her husband, 55, has been treated for shock.

Police Inspector Adam Powderly said it was devastating to see a family ripped apart just days before Christmas

“When these incidents happen at any time of the year it is devastating,” Inspector Powderly said.

“But when it’s the festive season it really hits home and that family has been torn apart.”

Police said initial inquiries suggested the 20-year-old was driving a Landcruiser in a northerly direction along Bernera Road, when he failed to stop at a red light and drove through the intersection with Wroxham Street.

“It subsequently collided with the passenger side of the Yaris, which then crashed into a traffic light pole,” a police spokesman said.

The driver of the Landcruiser allegedly ran from the crash before police arrived, prompting a search of Bernera Road and nearby streets.

A resident later found the driver hiding in the front yard of a house on Wroxham Street and called police.

Police arrested the driver and he was later sedated at hospital and treated for minor injuries.

Mandatory blood and urine tests have been taken but charges were yet to be laid on Monday afternoon.

Inspector Powderly said police were trying to establish whether the driver was the only person in the Landcruiser at the time of the crash.

He asked anyone with any information to contact police through Crime Stoppers on 1800333000.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Man struck at Wynyard, trains delayed

16/09/2019 Posted by admin

Peak hour traffic at Wynyard train station. Photo: James Brickwood Peak hour traffic at Wynyard train station. Photo: James Brickwood
Nanjing Night Net

Peak hour traffic at Wynyard train station. Photo: James Brickwood

Peak hour traffic at Wynyard train station. Photo: James Brickwood

Commuters peers under the train where the victim was trapped. The train driver is pictured in the blue shirt. Photo: Mehriel Parsa

A man has escaped with his life after being struck by a train at Wynyard station on Monday afternoon.

Initial inquiries suggest the man in his 50s had a medical episode that caused him to fall onto the tracks and into the path of an oncoming train.

Shortly before 3.30pm police were called to the station, where they found a man trapped beneath a train.

He was treated by paramedics for serious injuries to his foot, before being taken to St Vincent’s Hospital, where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

Mehrial Parsa was standing on the platform a few metres from where the incident occurred.

“My head was turned away when it happened, but suddenly I just hear people screaming ‘stop, stop, stop’.”

She says the train driver slammed on the brakes and stopped the train about a third of the way into the platform.

“He jumped out and ran over to where the person was trapped. He was absolutely devastated, holding his head in his arms,” Ms Parsa said.

Five to 10 station staff ran over to the man, before ushering “devastated” commuters away from the platform, she said.

Train services between Wynyard and North Sydney were initially suspended. Service resumed around 4.45pm, however travel times may be affected.

Commuters can check current service updates.

The Transport Management Centre said passengers planning to travel from North Sydney to Wynyard could use their train tickets to catch buses.

“Passengers travelling on the T1 Northern Line and T1 Western Line are also advised to allow additional travel time, listen to announcements and check indicator boards at stations.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.