Archive for: ‘August 2019’

Buying drugs online: NSW lawyers ‘radical proposal’ to decriminalise drugs

16/08/2019 Posted by admin

The The NSW Bar Association’s criminal law committee says existing laws aimed at curbing illicit drug use and supply are not working.A teenager on Sydney’s northern beaches orders cocaine online and has it posted to their front door. It is just one of the signs that existing drug laws have “substantially failed”, according to top criminal barristers in NSW.
Nanjing Night Net

The NSW Bar Association’s criminal law committee, chaired by Sydney barrister Stephen Odgers SC, has put forward a “radical proposal” to replace the black market for drugs with a highly-regulated system of legal availability.

The committee says existing laws aimed at curbing illicit drug use and supply are not working and are resulting in “considerable” harm including an unregulated black market, drug overdoses, and crimes such as prostitution and armed robbery that are committed to pay for drugs.

It says its preliminary view, subject to further research and consultation, is that the current prohibitionist approach to drugs should be abandoned and replaced with a tightly-regulated system where drugs are legally available.

The system might involve licensing controls on the production and supply of drugs, along with price regulation and comprehensive services for treating drug addiction. A ban on private trafficking, supply to children and advertising was also flagged by the committee.

The committee is made up of heavy-hitters who both prosecute and defend people accused of drug-related crimes, including former Director of Public Prosecutions Nick Cowdery QC, and highly respected silks Tim Game, John Stratton, and Gaby Bashir.

It wants the community to engage in an informed debate about drug law reform, as the state government comes under increasing pressure to convene a drug summit to tackle the issues. The Bar Association will also hold a conference on drug law reform on May 29.

The committee says it has seen the harm caused by the use of illicit drugs, but “we have also seen the harm that is caused by the current prohibitionist model with its heavy reliance on the criminal law to deter drug use”.

It says the law has been “largely ineffective” at preventing the use or availability of illicit drugs and is “is now struggling to keep pace with synthetic drugs, the internet drug trade and the illicit use of pharmaceutical drugs”.

The paper cites a 2010 study showing that almost 15 per cent of Australians over 14 had used illicit drugs in the last year, and 27.5 per cent of those aged between 20 and 29. Cannabis was the most commonly used illicit drug in the country, followed by ecstasy, while the use of heroin and cocaine was still relatively low.

Alcohol, meanwhile, is the most widely used lawful drug in Australia. The committee said the total social costs arising from the frequent use of alcohol was “comparable” to the frequent use of illicit drugs, while the total social costs arising from the frequent use of tobacco “substantially outweigh” those associated with illicit drugs.

The views expressed in the discussion paper do not necessarily reflect the views of the Bar Association as a whole, which has yet to form a view on the issue.

The call for a drug summit comes as the NSW government funds three trials for the medical use of cannabis.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Sydney siege aftermath: partner of Man Haron Monis has bail revoked on murder charge

16/08/2019 Posted by admin

Bail revoked: Amirah Droudis. Photo: NineSex abuse victims of Man Haron Monis ‘bewildered’ Unhinged attention seeker who described himself as a humanitarianGunman warned of Martin Place protest six years ago
Nanjing Night Net

The partner of Sydney siege gunman, Man Haron Monis, has had her bail revoked on a charge of murder, with a court finding she poses an “unacceptable risk”.

A deputy Director of Public Prosecutions acknowledged there had been some failings on the department’s behalf when Amirah Droudis successfully applied for bail in December 2013, a month after she was charged with the murder of Monis’s ex-wife.

Chief Magistrate Graeme Henson said he considered Ms Droudis’s prior conviction, the nature of the alleged offence, and the remote possibility she would skip bail when making the decision to place her into custody.

“I find there is an unacceptable risk that cannot be properly mitigated by a further extension of bail,” Mr Henson told the Downing Centre Local Court on Monday.

The DPP applied for Ms Droudis’s bail to be revoked when, following the Sydney siege, NSW Attorney-General Brad Hazzard asked it to review the decision to grant bail.

She was charged in November last year with murdering Noleen Hayson Pal, who had been stabbed 18 times and then set alight in the stairwell of her Werrington home in April.

Last year she was found guilty, along with Monis, of sending abusive letters to the families of dead Australian Defence Force personnel. She was awaiting sentence in the ADF case at the time of the alleged murder, the court heard.

Judge Henson went to great lengths to emphasise that the allegations against Ms Droudis had not been proven and that she is entitled to the presumption of innocence.

“Decison making in relation to bail is only as good as the information provided to it,” he said.

“Suspicion, wild accusation, deficiencies in evidence cannot be translated into accepted truths simply because an agency of prosecution says so or a media who wants something to be true says it must be without due process.”

Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions, John PIckering, SC, earlier said that videos in which Ms Droudis endorses acts of violence, made as early as 2008, had not previously been before the courts.

“We’ve admitted failings about it. We are concerned that if you look at all the evidence before the court … that there’s an unacceptable risk.”

Mr Pickering said the videos paired with evidence she acted under Monis’s influence by the sending of abusive letters showed she should not be free on bail.

The videos, which were played after Judge Henson cleared the court, proved she held alarming views, Mr Pickering said.

“Accepting that the allegation against her is one of significant violence … it’s a concern … that someone charged with a violent allegation holds views that can be seen by many people as extremist in nature.”

In a statement, Premier Mike Baird said: “I welcome the revocation of bail for Amirah Droudis. The NSW Government expects community safety to be front and centre of all bail decisions and that is why the attorney-general expressed concern and requested a review of the case.”This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Five things we learned in the A-League this weekend

16/08/2019 Posted by admin

1. Melbourne derby has plenty of meaning.
Nanjing Night Net

Half of its composition may have been completely rebranded but the sentiment has only grown since Heart became the City. The quality of football was poor and masked by the frenetic pace matched by the tension from the stands but there was no hiding the importance from players and fans alike. Erik Paartalu’s emphatic winner sparked scenes of jubilation from City, which is understandable but most telling was the agony evident on the Victory coaches’ and players’ faces in losing their first game of the season against a club they regard as their little brother.

2.  Perth Glory can play through drama.

It’s a topic of discussion within the Perth Glory dressing room and is causing nerves among the club’s administrators, but the salary cap scandal showed no signs of affecting their on-field performance. A 4-1 demolition of the Mariners extended their lead to six points at the summit of the A-League. If anything, their confidence seemed to have grown, highlighted by the performance of Chris Harold and a stunning strike from teenager Danny De Silva. An FFA investigation may be looming to suggest the biggest threat to their commanding lead won’t come from another team.

3. Grey skies over Sky Blues.

Sydney’s stellar start to the season is at risk of crumbling after their 2-0 loss to the Phoenix at home. Winless in four games and losing pace fast, a season that began with so much promise now places them among the league’s middle order. Truth is they’ve been ravaged by injuries they have failed to cope with as of yet. Hopes of a revival largely hinge on what bargains they can find in the upcoming sales.

4. Mariners out at sea.

In 18 months, they’ve gone from A-League champions to a club that celebrates draws. That’s right, the Mariners’ reign on the A-League has ended. The gravy train that was their production line has gone off the tracks and worse still, results have disappeared. Not only are they winless in 10 games, they never looked close to breaking that drought against Perth Glory on the weekend and the dejection on captain John Hutchinson’s face at full-time told the whole story.

5.  I was saying Boo-urns. 

Sydney fans may have jeered him after he brought his season tally to 10 at their expense, but Wellington striker Nathan Burns will be the talk of the league come season’s end. Another superb showing assured his place in the Asian Cup squad and reaffirmed that after years in the wilderness, the boy from Blayney is making up for lost time. If he maintains this form, don’t be surprised to see a Johnny Warren medal around his neck in May.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Marc Janko frustrated by home goal drought for Sydney FC

16/08/2019 Posted by admin

Sydney FC striker Marc Janko is frustrated that he still hasn’t opened his account at home after being denied another chance by the woodwork at Allianz Stadium.
Nanjing Night Net

The giant Austrian forward appeared certain to score his first home goal in the 2-0 loss to Wellington before Phoenix goalkeeper Glen Moss pushed his close-range shot on to the bar and he says the ongoing wait is becoming “annoying”.

Janko has already scored four goals this season in eight games, including a spectacular long-range strike against Brisbane, but is yet to score in NSW, let alone at home. Sydney’s marquee man is just itching to hit the net against Adelaide United on Boxing Day to finally celebrate with his new fans.

“That’s annoying me a lot to be honest,” Janko said of his home goal-scoring drought. “First, I want to celebrate with our home crowd and that will be a good thing and I hope I can finally do that. Somehow there’s always some misfortune with the games, I hit the post many times but my luck will come. I believe that I will do my best to turn it to my advantage.”

The 31-year-old has been partnered by Shane Smeltz in Sydney’s forward line in recent weeks and believes the two can work together despite the similarities in their style of play. The two are both natural finishes from inside the box, have a similar pace and physique but Janko says they can still find attributes that complement the other. Already, Smeltz has combined with Janko to provide one assist during last week’s 3-3 draw with Melbourne Victory where the Kiwi striker slipped a no-look back heel pass to put Janko through on goal.

“With every chance there is alway some risk. I think the positive aspects are more to be considered. We’re both a good threat for the defenders and in Melbourne he gave me a great assist. We can also play around each other so we have a good capacity to do some good combinations,” Janko said.

The two have only started three games together this season but are showing glimpses of a good combination. With Corey Gameiro ruled out for the season and Sydney yet to sign an injury replacement player, Janko believes his partnership with Smeltz can bear fruit.

“In the beginning we didn’t have that many chances to play with each other but in the last two or three weeks we’ve been given this chance and I think you can see on the pitch that we’re constantly causing havoc for defenders. Our offensive game is looking better and we’re getting the right service. I think the results will follow,” he said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Double-digit sales in Bronte

16/08/2019 Posted by admin

The former Bronte home of Lachlan and Sarah Murdoch. The former Bronte home of Lachlan and Sarah Murdoch.
Nanjing Night Net

The former Bronte home of Lachlan and Sarah Murdoch.

The former Bronte home of Lachlan and Sarah Murdoch.

After five years on and off the market, Lachlan and Sarah Murdoch achieved the year’s top price in Bronte for the sale of their contemporary house above The Cutting. It sold for more than $10 million.

That sale helped bring the median price to $2,292,500 – a gain of 13.5 per cent on the previous year’s house median.

Apartments had a stronger year according to The Domain Group, rising 16 per cent to a median of $835,250.

Domain visited Bronte in Spring to find these three prime listings:

142 Hewlett Street 

Price guide: About $9 million Sale price: $9 million

The lucky new owners are probably dusting the sand off their feet right now. Not only is this Weir Phillips-designed house a stone’s throw from the beach but it comes with a level lawn, pool and ocean views.

15 Tamarama Marine Drive

Price guide: $4.7 million + Still for sale: About $4.5 million

What are you waiting for? Screaming for a reno or rebuild, this rock-solid fifties house is across the road from the water and its ocean views can never be built out. Domain hears buyers are circling ever closer.

2 Boundary Street

Price guide: About $1.9 million Sale price: About $1.9 million

Gingerbread house façade and cool Scandi-look from the back, this house was re-designed by Trevor Halls Architects won Waverley Council’s 2012 Small Buildings award.

Gingerbread house façade and cool Scandi-look from the back, this house was re-designed by Trevor Halls Architects won Waverley Council’s 2012 Small Buildings award.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.