Archive for: ‘August 2018’

Our Kindy kids’ Christmas wishlist: St Peter & St Pauls Primary School

16/08/2018 Posted by admin

YOUR kids will be getting excited today as it is only three sleepsuntil Santa comes to deliver their presents down the chimney ready to open on Christmas morning. We finish with the final school on our list, St Peter & St Pauls Primary School in West Goulburn.
Nanjing Night Net

Ten kids from classes KH and KB were chosen to reveal what they would like Santa to bring them tomorrow.

CHRISTMAS WANTS: (Back, from left) Claudia Maple-Brown, Matilda Stephenson, and Katherine Clee. (Front) Lily Marmont, Emma Seaman, and Kayla Picker.

“I would like Santa to bring me a rubber donut that I can use when I go swimming in the pool.” – Claudia (KB)

“I would like a toy dolphin for Christmas.” – Matilda (KB)

“I would like a toy bird that whistles back to you.” – Katherine (KH)

“I would like Santa to bring me a toy cat.” – Lily (KB)

“I would like a motorbike to ride on my Pa’s farm.” – Emma (KB)

“I would like Santa to bring me a toy shark that I can use in the pool with my family.” – Kayla (KH)

BOY’S TOYS: (Left to right) Brayden Deans (KH), Alex Picker (KB), Thomas Cunningham (KB) and Isaac Foley (KH).

“I would like Santa to bring me a remote-control car.”- Brayden

“I would like a two-wheeler motorbike for Christmas.” – Alex

“I would like a blue IPod for Christmas, so I can listen to all my favourite songs and play games on it.” – Thomas

“I would like Santa to bring me a remote-control helicopter.” – Isaac

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Taser used to subdue man

16/08/2018 Posted by admin

A MAN has been charged with assaulting police after officers attended a domestic incident in Froude Street on Friday afternoon.
Nanjing Night Net

Police were called to the home about 5pm after the 46-year-old man allegedly made threats against his partner. After they arrived, police allege the man threw a beer bottle at them, then picked up a chair and threatened to assault the officers.

Police were forced to use tasers and capsicum spray to subdue the man before he was arrested. The man has been granted conditional bail and will appear before Inverell Local Court on January 8.

In a separate incident on Friday, police arrested a 13-year-old boy at a Lewin Street home.

The boy has been charged with malicious damage, stealing, breaching and apprehended violence order and breaching bail.

He has been refused bail until Wednesday.

On Friday December 12, a 70-year-old Bundarra man was arrested in relation to a domestic assault and firearms offences. He was granted conditional bail and will appear in Inverell Local Court at a later date.

Inverell police also arrested two juvenile males aged 15 and 16 last week for breaking into a Byron Street service station. Both will appear in the Inverell Children’s Court.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Library gains access to research material

16/08/2018 Posted by admin

AN initiative from the State Library NSW to make online resources more readily available was recently adopted by the Inverell Public Library. It provided a wide range of new research material and opportunities to the community.
Nanjing Night Net

LOGGING ON: Library manager Sonya Lange logs onto the new NSW State Library collection available to all Inverell library cardholders.

Library manager Sonya Lange said people could now apply online using their own Inverell library card to gain access to State Library data.

“It takes only 30 seconds to register online, then you can access all the online resources from the State library,” Mrs Lange said.

“There are some really exciting and really useful resources in there that we as an individual library would not be able to offer. There’s a couple of collections of digitised British newspapers that date back to 1600, and this is one that people may find a little bit quirky, there’s Queen Victoria’s digitised journal.

“One I’m quite excited about is something called Library Press Display. It is a database that has the last two months worth of newspapers for over 3000 newspaper titles from 100 countries in 60 languages.”

Mrs Lange said Inverell library card holders would be able to log in and read newspapers from all over the world, everywhere from Albania to Zimbabwe.

“We have lots of people in Inverell who have migrated here from other areas who might like to easily read the newspaper from home. People might be learning a language or someone might be travelling to another country and might like to get the local flavour by reading the local paper,” Mrs Lange said.

Also included are the thousands of prime source documents included in the First World War Personal Experience Collection, which consists of letters, diaries and scrapbooks and so forth from the period.

Mrs Lange said there are about 200 extra database titles now available because of the new system.

“There’s a difference between stuff you can find online with Google and quality resources like these, particularly for people who are studying or researching,” Mrs Land said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Carlton big man Matthew Kreuzer marches forward

16/08/2018 Posted by admin

As Carlton completed their final session of training before the Christmas break on Monday, big man Matthew Kreuzer stood out even more than usual.
Nanjing Night Net

It wasn’t just his height this time, but the fluorescent green cap he was wearing, the significance of which wasn’t lost on coach Mick Malthouse. Awarded to Kreuzer for “trainer of the week”, this, said the coach, was no token gesture.

“Probably, it’s been a thing in the past when you’re not overly achieving, that any achievement is looked upon as a bit of fun and games,” Malthouse said. “We can’t have that. It’s got to be recognised and admired, and when the trainer of the week is announced, there’s no taking the mickey, it is now a genuine well done, and they strive for it.”

And Kreuzer more than most, given this is the first complete pre-Christmas program he’s completed in his eight pre-seasons with the Blues, and coming off a 2014 almost a complete write-off after foot surgery, his only game for the year Carlton’s first against Port Adelaide.

“It’s such a great bonus to have a player like that. One of his nicknames is ‘Tractor’, because he just keeps going,” Malthouse said.

And with his fitness finally no longer an issue, Carlton is looking to utilise Kreuzer more as a key forward in 2015, leaving the bulk of the ruckwork to either Robbie Warnock or Cameron Wood.

It’s a path Carlton has worn before without enormous success, but in 2015 the Blues hope Kreuzer the forward will be not only better physically equipped, but more tactically capable of giving other key forwards like Lachie Henderson, Levi Casboult and Bulldog recruit Liam Jones a chop-out.

“We want him to play a lot of football forward and ruck, and he’s undertaken a program just to dedicate himself to that,” Malthouse said. “He knows how to ruck, but he’s dedicating himself to other facets, to put a bit of pressure on the back talls, and to kick goals. We’ve been delighted with the way he’s come up.”

It’s been a different sort of pre-season for Carlton, an earlier start due to missing out on the finals, and no Arizona training camp this year due to the new cap on football department spending, the Blues instead due to head to Mount Buller after the Christmas break. But with far fewer players injured or recovering from surgery, it’s also been, says the coach, a very successful one.

“We’re delighted with our senior list, and particularly our leaders, who are now really running the football section the way you’d want your leaders to run it, without too much interference from the coaches,” Malthouse said.

“It’s been really intriguing for me to see their growth. It’s a lot better than having players in the grandstand and trying to get them fit through altitude training and what not in January. We’ve got a lot of good kilometres into them.

“Our goal is to get as many players up and ready [as possible]. I’d like to think we’d play about 36-38 players through the NAB Cup series. We want form and numbers up so that keeping an eye on the first game, we’ve got probably 25-30 players who are nice and fit and healthy to choose from. We don’t want to go in with only 22 like we did last year.”

And after a considerable 22 changes to the senior list over the past two off-seasons, Malthouse is confident the playing group Carlton fields next year might be one that doesn’t prune nearly so severely next summer.

“I think between three and five [spots] so that gives us an idea that we’re getting close to the type of list we want,” he said. “Our observation so far is that we’ve picked for need, we’ve picked quality-type kids, and the kicking power of these kids is far greater than we’ve had come through the club since I’ve been here. So we’ve picked for the way we want to play.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Nick Kyrgios ready to face summer of expectation

16/08/2018 Posted by admin

A mentally and physically stronger Nick Kyrgios is ready to face head-on his first Australian tennis summer with heightened expectations as he is boosted by the return of a former coach and a new resolve.
Nanjing Night Net

Kyrgios revealed how his Wimbledon campaign almost ended before it began because of homesickness and how he has revamped his training plan so he can compete with the grind of a full tennis schedule. The 19-year-old described 2014 as “strange” as he made his mark by stunning the tennis world when he knocked world No.1 Rafael Nadal out in the fourth round in Wimbledon in four sets. Kyrgios beat Nadal 7-6 (7-5), 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3 before losing in the quarter-finals to Milos Raonic.

“There were a lot of ups and down,” said Kyrgios, who announced a partnership with Malaysia Airlines on Monday. “There was a period before Wimbledon where I was going to go home and not play one of the challenger events. If I went home none of this would’ve happened. I ended up staying and having one of the best weeks of my life. That stands out. It’s all happened really fast. I’ve had time to reflect on it now. It was a pretty full-on year. It’s pretty gruelling being on the road, being away from home and travelling out of a suitcase. It’s definitely tough.

“You need to become a good loser in tennis. You’re not going to win every week, you’re always going to experience losses. It was really tough.”

He followed his Wimbledon heroics with a third-round US Open performance to help lift his season-ending ranking to 52nd.  An ongoing left arm injury and a nagging right elbow saw him end his season prematurely. Kyrgios has upped his training as he aims to complete 2015 injury free. “I’ve flown a couple of guys from Melbourne to Canberra to train with me,” Kyrgios said. “That’s just to extend my sessions. If one of them gets tired, another one comes in. I’m doing a lot of gym work now and conditioning. Last year I was getting two to three hours on the court, now I’m getting three to four. My body is a lot different. Physically and mentally I need to get better. Transitioning to the net is something else I need to get better at.”

Kyrgios split with coach Simon Rea to rejoin his junior mentor Todd Larkham. He’ll kick-start his 2015 campaign at the Hopman Cup in Perth from January 4. Kyrgios will then play in Sydney before preparing for his second Australian Open. “There’s a lot of expectations,” Kyrgios said. “It gives me motivation to go out and put pressure on myself to perform. I’m really looking forward to it. There’s a lot of young up and comers as well; Thanasi Kokkinakis and Omar Jasika. We are sharing the load a little bit and motivating each other to do well. Larkham was major for my development as a junior. Going back to him was a really good move. He knows what works for me and what I need to do to get better. We are always on the same page and that’s important.”

He’ll head into the Australian Open ranked behind veteran Lleyton Hewitt (50) while Bernard Tomic is No. 56.  Kyrgios was knocked out in the second round last year. “It’s my last grand slam as a teenager,”  Kyrgios  said. “I want to make the most of that. I want to go out there and play another grand slam in my 19th year, it’s a good thing. There shouldn’t be much pressure on me to go out there and play.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.